This was inspired from the “Freddie Mac” they serve at Desi Vega’s Steakhouse in New Orleans. If you haven’t been there yet, make sure you go ASAP. I don’t even think it’s possible to have a bad meal from there.
This recipe was SO easy to make and it came out incredible. Of course it didn’t taste exactly like the Freddie Mac at Desi Vega’s, but I must say it came pretty damn close! They have crawfish, andouille, shrimp, and crab, but I left out the last two. Please forgive me for the lack of pictures, I wasn’t expecting it to come out THIS good! Ha!
• 1 stick of butter
• 1/4 cup of flour
• 1 pint of heavy whipping cream
• 1 cup of milk (give or take some if your cheese sauce and pasta mixed together is too firm)
• 1 cup of crawfish tails
• 1 lb of andouille sausage
• 1 packed of rotini noodles
• 1 block of Sharp Cheddar, shredded
• 1 block of Mozzarella, shredded
• 1 block of Pepper Jack, shredded
• 1 block of Gouda, shredded
• 1/2 cup of shredded Parmesan
• Your favorite creole seasoning
• Garlic powder
• McCormick Pinch Perfect Garlic and Herbs seasoning
- Shred cheeses and divide into halves. You’ll use half for the cheese sauce and the other half for the top to bake.
- Cook pasta al dente according to package instructions. Be careful not to over cook! Strain and rinse with cold water.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt 1 stick of butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour when butter has melted. Cook for about 1 minute. Reduce heat and stir in heavy whipping cream. Stir in seasonings according to your liking.
- Bring to a boil, whisk constantly then reduce heat to medium and simmer until thick (but not overly thick. If it gets too thick, add milk.)
- Remove from heat and whisk in shredded cheeses. Use half from each type (you’ll use the rest later).
- Chop andouille sausage into small bits and brown in a skillet.
- Cook crawfish tails in skillet for 2 minutes.
- Fold pasta, andouille, and crawfish into cheese sauce and stir. You want the mixture to be a little loose, but still firm.
- Add remaining shredded cheese on top.
- Pour mixture into a baking dish and sprinkle remaining cheese and on top. Bake for about 20 minutes or until cheese is a little brown.
- ENJOY THIS DELICIOUSNESS.