THE BEST CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP YOU’LL EVER EAT.
Hey y’all!!! I’m baaaaaaack!!!
I know it’s been a while since I’ve posted (and to be honest, I’ll probably go MIA again for another 3 months), but I’m back and…..
THIS. TORTILLA. SOUP. WAS. OFF. THE. CHAIN.
I’ve been telling myself that I have to start posting my recipes to my blog again and as me and Nick are slurping up our soup like it’s the first time we’ve eaten in 7 years, I realized THIS was the perfect recipe to jump start my return! Nick said it’s his new favorite meal I’ve cooked!! 🙂
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of veggie oil (can substitute coconut oil for a healthier alternative)
- All-purpose flour
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons of butter (again, you can substitute coconut oil)
- 1 pint of half and half
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 1 can of black beans
- 2 cans of corn (I’m a corn freak, I think you can get away with 1!)
- 1 jar of salsa- I used Chi-Chi’s Medium Thick & Chunky Salsa.
- 1 bag of Kraft Mexican Blend cheese (trust me, you don’t have to use the whole bag!!)
- Ground Cayenne pepper
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Tortilla chips
- Season chicken breasts with cayenne pepper, cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder then place in the oven at 400 degrees until no longer pink. Shred or cut into pieces when done.
- Pour vegetable oil in your favorite soup pot.
- Stir in chopped up onions and bell pepper and minced garlic until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add in 4 tablespoons of butter, melt down.
- Slowly pour in flour and cook for 1 minute. (You want to make sort of a roux to make the soup thick, yet creamy.)
- Stir in the chicken broth and half and half.
- Add jar of salsa, black beans, corn, 1 cup of cheese, and cooked chicken.
- Bring to a boil and stir. Repeat.
- Sprinkle with cayenne pepper, cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder. Stir and cover. Cook on low for about 30 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Sprinkle each serving with cheese and tortilla chips. Jalapeños and sour cream are an added bonus! 🙂
*The added spices at the end is ENTIRELY up to you! It all depends on how spicy/not spicy you like your food!*
Stay tuned for more recipes to come soon!!! 🙂