If you’ve never had cauliflower mash, GET. IN. THE. KITCHEN. AND. MAKE. THIS. NOW. I’m officially obsessed with it now and will more than likely use them instead of regular mashed potatoes from now on! It’s not only easy, it’s SUPER healthy!
Nick and I both LOVE Shepherd’s pie, so after I made cauliflower mash to go with some salmon and veggies the night before, it was a no brainer to try the Shepherd’s pie with the cauliflower mash! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I promise you won’t be disappointed with this dish!
Ingredients: (If you are only cooking for 1 or 2 people and don’t want leftovers (which I GUARANTEE you will, cut this recipe in half)
- 2 medium heads of cauliflower
- 2 lbs of LEAN ground meat (I used 80/10 because they were out of 93/7. You can also use ground turkey)
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic (separated)
- 1 can of peas and carrots (Frozen packs of veggies will work just as great!)
- 1/3 cup of Worcestershire
- 1/2 cup of fat free mild cheddar
- Olive Oil (I didn’t really measure this as I just put enough to coat the bottom of the pan for the meat mixture)
- Sea Salt and Garlic Powder (or any seasoning to your liking)
- Cut off steam/leaves of cauliflower head into florets- make sure you get as much of the stem off as possible as the stems give the mash a different taste.
- Fill a pot about half way with water, a tablespoon of minced garlic, and sea salt and bring to a boil. Add cauliflower florets and let boil COVERED for about 3-5 minutes then turn the heat to low/medium and sit for 10 minutes or until they’re soft (NOT mushy).
- Drain florets and let them cool. Use a paper towel to remove excess water.
- Transfer florets to a food processor with some olive oil (you can also use butter but I’m trying to stay away from it) and blend until they have the texture of mashed potatoes!
- While the cauliflower is boiling, add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a pan (enough to coat the bottom of the pan) and saute chopped up onions and minced garlic until soft.
- Cook ground meat/turkey on medium/high until brown. Add 1/3 cup of Worcestershire and bring to a boil. Turn heat to medium and add vegetables (I only put peas and carrots, but feel free to add whatever veggies you like!) and cook for about 2-3 minutes and let simmer until cauliflower mash is ready.
- Sprinkle meat mixture onto the bottom of a baking dish and layer (meat mixture, cauliflower mash, repeat. Sprinkle the top with fat free mild cheddar cheese.
- Bake for about 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted.
*Add seasoning to your personal liking, we are trying to stay away from too much salt. I added a dash of Tony’s to my portion for a little extra flavor.*